Sunday, March 13, 2011

Crackle polish, a 10K, rental homes, and new opportunities...

I didn't hear anything about the job yet...I spent the entirety of my workday Friday with my iPhone shoved in the back pocket of my skinny jeans (which was no small feat), ignoring the fact that it gave me an obvious "square butt" effect, as well as the enormous amount of discomfort I endured when sitting, in hopes that it would start vibrating uncontrollably, at which point I would excuse myself from the exam room, run like I had serious bowel issues to the bathroom, and hear the wonderful words "You got the job!" come from the other end of the phone line.  But no.  I have to continue practicing the virtue of patience...darn.

Otherwise, this has been a glorious weekend so far...70 degrees, sun shining, driving around town with my sunroof open...*sigh of delight*.  And my WONDERFUL husband, who does not in the least bit understand my obsession with nail polish but embraces it as a part of who I am, drove me all the way to the next town over to their Sally's Beauty Supply (because the one in my town SUCKS and never has any of the new nail polish collections that I drool over) so that I could buy some of China Glaze's new Crackle collection.  I decided (after much deliberation) on three colors of crackly goodness, all of which are amazing, but I think I need to go back again today because there is one that I literally lost sleep over because I passed it up (gosh I have issues).  Anyways, this pretty much triples my already gi-normous collection of nail polish and I think I sat for at  least a half an hour deciding what kind of manicure I would give myself last night...this is what I came up with:
China Glaze Crushed Candy Crackle over China Glaze Something Sweet

David and I are looking to upgrade from our 1 bedroom apartment to a rental home.  The only thing that I really want in a rental house is a 2 bedroom place with a fenced in backyard for our dog to play in...I'm easy to please.  The hard part is finding such a place.  We thought we found one the other day, but when we were given the grand tour we quickly discovered that there were not 2 bedrooms but 3, which instantly made my heart sink because I knew it would be out of our price range...and it was.  The renters liked us a lot and tried really hard to get us to a point where we might be able to rent it by dropping the price waaaay down...and it was really hard to give up.  It was adorable, a good deal, in a great part of town, within walking distance of David's school, and it had the perfect backyard for our dog...darn that third bedroom!  I couldn't sleep one night because I was pouring through all of the financial scenarios that would allow us to snatch up the house, and I came up with some...unfortunately my hubby wasn't all about my ideas because all of them included us using my paycheck to help out and he is determined that we live off of just his one paycheck until we have our student loans paid off.  I know that's the smart thing to do, but MAN I would love to stop being smart for a change!  Oh well, the hunt continues...I mean that is the first and only house we've looked it,  and just because it happend to be pretty darn near perfect doesn't mean we won't find one that is ABSOLUTELY perfect, right?

I think I may be running a 10K in two weeks, which would be my first race ever (unless you count the 5K I walked in college in order to get extra credit from one of my professors)...my running buddy and I are trying to decide if we can make it 6.2 miles or not, especially since yesterday we had every intention of running 5 miles but decided somewhere in the middle that we would probably die if we didn't cut it back to 4.  But let me tell you, regardless of our lack of dedication to stick with the distance we decide on, it is such a breath of fresh air to run with her...I used to run with my husband when he was training for his marathon and it was great to get to spend that time with him exercising and being healthy, but my goodness did he run fast.  When I run, I run to get healthy and aim to finish well, but when I ran with him I usually finished barely able to breathe, hunched over, and hurting everywhere.  With my running pal, we maintain a speed that allows us to talk the whole time, which makes the run go by soooo much faster AND we don't feel like we're going to collapse in a pile at the end.  So we'll see how that goes.

My husband and I were approached to be the leaders of a community group at church again today, and it really is flattering that people see us and view us as a strong Christian couple capable of leading a small group.  We were community group leaders once before when our church made its feeble first attempt at starting small groups, and it went pretty well until the only unmarried couple in our group went through a bitter break up, which essentially shattered our group into pieces.  Now, our church has come back with an even stronger purpose and direction for small groups, and David and I have been content to sit back and let someone else with more experience in marriage and in leading take the reins.  But today our group leader approached us and asked us to consider leading a group ourselves...he said they would hate to lose us in their group, but the church is in need of new leaders and they immediately thought of us.  Now I am not naiive...I know that we have only been married for 2 1/2 years and we haven't even begun to see hard times yet, so we can begin to pretend that we are experts at marriage...but I also know that my marriage rocks and it shows.  We're not perfect, we fight about stupid things, and there are a lot of things that we can and need to improve upon.  (For instance I am insanely uncomfortable praying in front of my husband.  For some reason opening my heart up to God and having someone else hear it, especially someone I love so much and want to impress, is very intimidating for me.)  But we do know how to love each other unconditionally, no matter how ugly we act towards each other, we know how to work through our issues (even if it gets messy) and not just sweep them under the rug "for another day", we know that no matter what the word "divorce" will never be in our vocabulary...even in the middle of a knock-down-drag-out fight that word never EVER makes an appearance, and we know that no matter how much we may try, we are never going to completely fulfill each other's every need.  The only one who can do that is the Lord himself, and ,not to be cute, that really takes a "burden" off of our shoulders. 

So who knows, maybe we are ready to break free and make another attempt at leading a group again.  Like every other big decision that comes our way, we'll make it a matter of prayer, and we have confidence that we will be led in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment