Saturday, April 30, 2011

Whirlwind Post

I feel like I say this at the beginning of every blog post, but the last couple of weeks have been a whirlwind.  Two weekends ago my husband and I flew to Ohio for his grandmother's memorial...sounds boring, but let me tell you flying has never been boring with my husband.  Until I met him my life was pretty normal...after I met him I noticed strange things started happening.  For instance, the only times I have had issues flying have been when he and I flew together.  I have flown with my family multiple time, and I even flew by myself a couple of times, but with him there is always an issue.  The very first time I flew with him was on our honeymoon, and on our way home our flight was delayed 8 hours even though the weather was beautiful everywhere because the airline was having issues with it's flight crews, we got back to our "wedding night" hotel late at night and found or car's battery was dead, got it jumped and finally began making our way back to my parent's house so we could open our wedding gifts the next morning when we got pulled over by a cop because there had been an armed robbery in the area and our car and driver fit the description of the suspect they were looking for.  So yeah, crazy right?  This time we had a friend take us to the airport, and as soon as we got to our gate there was a line of people there and we knew that was a bad sign.  Our flight was delayed and eventually cancelled, we were stranded at the airport, and we didn't know if we'd be able to make it to the memorial which was at 1 the next afternoon.  At around 10pm (we got to the line at around 7) we made it to the front of the line, re-configured our flights, and took a shuttle to a hotel that offered a "distressed traveller's" discount.  This was at around 11pm.  Our flight took off at 5:30am, so we scheduled a shuttle for 4am to take us back to the airport...we finally got over our hysteria from what had taken place that day and fell asleep around midnight, but my husband who cannot sleep without a fan accidentally switched on the heat instead of the air and we woke up in the middle of the night sweating.  Our wake up call was at 3am so that we could get ready for the memorial before we hopped on our 5:30 flight.  So, in case you haven't already done the math, best case scenario we got 3 hours of sleep.  But, we made it to the memorial, and it actually turned out ok as we were able to switch our flight home to a later time so we could spend more time with his family, and we were able to switch it for free (as apposed to $150) because we used a little word called "bereavement".  Even though it was not an ideal situation, God really provided for us, and it worked out better than David and my plans ever could have.

The week following the memorial went by in a blur (it was only 4 days anyways as we got Good Friday off) and David and I drove to Tennessee to visit my parents for Easter for a loooong weekend (we both had the following Monday and Tuesday off).  David and I got to hang out with my parents and my sister and her boyfriend and the six of us had so much fun together.  We ate out a lot, we spent a lot of time outside because the weather was BEAUTIFUL, and we watched a lot of movies...sounds boring, but honestly after the previous weekend I needed a relaxing weekend.  And I was so happy that David and my sister's boyfriend seemed to get along so well...they may be brothers-in-law someday ya know ;)

This week went by in a blur as well, as it was only 3 days long, but yesterday I took my kitty to the vet.  There is some back story here...my kitty (who is 13, and has been my kitty for every one of those years) developed what I thought were sores on his face about 3 weeks ago, and despite my best efforts to keep them clean they never seemed to heal.  Then a few days ago the right side of his face got really swollen and he started drooling constantly, which grossed David out completely and sent him into another "I hate cats" tirade.  He had a traumatice experience with cats destroying his litter of hampsters as a child, so he has always hated cats, and when my parents made us move Patches from Indiana to North Carolina to live with us he only promised to tolerate the cat the best he could...he tries really hard but sometimes the cat pushes him over the edge with his shedding or the fact that you can't keep a cat from getting up on furniture.  Actually many of the most serious arguments in our marriage have been over the cat, and I seriously looked into trying to adopt him to someone else for awhile (side note, a suprising majority of the people I talked to about my husband vs. cat issue told me not to even try to get rid of the cat because a man isn't worth giving up my cat for, which I COMPLETELY disagree with, but it explains a lot about why the divorce rate is the way it is...people have their priorities all screwed up), but no one wants a cat this old.  And now he's an old cat with $700 dollars worth of repairs.  The vet told us that he either has an abscessed tooth or bone cancer, but she can't be sure of which unless she does a few exporatory test (which cost hundreds of dollars) and while she's doing that she may as well pull some of his teeth because they may be the problem anyways (add another couple hundred dollars), and that is just for the least that she could do.  I started to cry in the exam room because I knew we couldn't afford to even find out what's wrong, let alone fix the problem if it is an abscessed tooth...if it's cancer there is nothing that even the vet can suggest.  So I'm not sure where to go from here.  Patches seems fine, he doesn't act like he's in pain at least not yet, but once he does I can't help him anyways.  I called my dad because besides my sister and I he loves that cat the most, and he said that's why he doesn't have pets, because when they start having health issues it's too hard to deal with.  Let's be clear here, he's a cat...he's not a human and I'm not one of those people who think of their pets as their babies, but I do love him and it is still really hard.  If he starts feeling the pain, the honest truth is that the best thing we can afford to do for him is simply put him to sleep....we simply cannot and will not go into debt for a cat.  I know a lot of people will disagree with this decision, but fortunately I don't think a lot of people read this blog so I think I'm ok.  I love my Patches, and that is the best possible thing I can do for him.

And, to lighten the mood, here's a story of God's sense of humor...my husband wanted to take me out to eat to take my mind off of the cat, but I was reluctant to go because we had spend $50 to take the cat to the vet and our money was tight for the end of the month anyways.  So we got to the restaurant an ordered an appetizer, queso dip, which we enjoyed for a little while until my husband removed a chip that revealed a big, nasty dead bug.  We pointed it out to the waitress who immediately took it to the manager and told us that if we wanted to leave she would completely understand...we were offically grossed out, but we really wanted our barbeque chicken pizza so we stayed.  The manager/cook came out and tripped all over herself to apologize saying that in her two years there this had never, ever happened before, and told us that the meal was on her, she insisted that we order some desserts to go (I got a brownie pie that was TO DIE FOR), and she gave us a $25 gift card to come back.  She even thanked us for being some of the nicest people she had ever had the pleasure to serve, because she said she has been screamed at by customers for a lot less.  All in all, we got our whole meal for only $7 (which was our tip to our waitress who was so sweet), and we get another meal for free!  Even though it was kinda gross, I can see God's hand in that, and it reminds me just how silly it is to worry over money...God always provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment